Are you looking for a bulged disc treatment? What if you can heal herniated disc naturally without surgery but with proven lower back core workouts for pain relief!
“To hit the painful spot may not be the solution sometimes. Try developing the muscle density around that area.”- Dr. Richard Raymond, Boston University.
For a herniated disc surgery, you need to pay around $20000. For a session with a good chiropractor, it costs around $70, but normally it goes on for 5 sessions. A 10-day physiotherapy session could cost $500.
All because you ignored the symptoms of lower back pain and failed to correct the posture during work or from college days. Lower back pain is a major issue that would diminish your productivity on the go. Address the pain daily to avoid spending the money and your valuable time.
10 Best Lower back pain exercises for pain relief and heals a herniated disc naturally | Bullet proof lower back
- Bird dog exercise
- Side leg raises
- Cobra pose
- Hanging toe to the floor
- V leg squeeze
- Glute bridge or hip thrust
- Stomach Vacuum
- Cat-Cow exercise (Chakravakasana)
- Scorpion sting twists
- Bonus: Advanced versions!
Important Note: If you are already suffering from herniated disc or sciatica, simply lay down on your chest and slip a pillow underneath to elevate your upper body. Rub warm massage oil on the lower back. Raise the knees to the side where you feel the pain and rest all day long till the pain disappears i.e. the disc slips a moment back to the spine. Do a hanging toe-to-floor exercise every 1 hour to decompress your spine that could aid the movement. How to do hanging toe to floor is explained below. It is that simple to recover from pain! All you need is willpower.
1. Bird dog exercise
The top 1 in the list of lower back muscle-building workouts is the Bird dog raise. It is the most preferred way of low back pain recovery method by physios. It benefits the muscles around your spin, building overall core strength much better when compared to regular superman exercise.
Do it for once- 3 sets of 10 reps with 30 seconds rest daily and feel your muscle spasm in lower back pain vanishing in minutes. It is that effective!
How to do a Bird dog exercise
- Lay down on your knees and hands on the floor or yoga mat. Hands should be shoulder-width apart.
- Look slightly above your hands to maintain a straight spine while doing this lower back workout.
- Raise your left hand and maintain a 90° angle between the left and right hand
- Extend the right leg so that the heel and buttocks are at the same height.
- Do PARTIAL REPS with isometric hold– 3 times (for beginners and increase it to 10 partial reps as you advance i.e. after 10-15 sessions of beginner workout) by plodding the leg and arm slightly up and down the buttocks height while maintaining the mind-muscle connection.
- Now repeat the steps by alternating the leg and arm.
- Daily 3 sets of 10 reps with 30 seconds rest in-between will do wonders.
Bird dog exercise benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Increased core strength and stability
- Reduced lower back muscle spasm and aids herniated disc recovery.
- Increased lower back muscle density
- Natural Spine curve correction
- Reduced upper back muscle spasm
- Hits muscles like the erector spinae, quads, hamstrings, trapezius, rhomboids, glutes, forearm.
2. Side Plank with leg raises
A simple and one of the most effective ways to build core strength of hip abductors and reduce lower back muscle spasm is to incorporate side plank with leg raises every other day into your lower back recovery routine. Do it for 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 30 seconds rest for best results.
How to do a side plank with leg raise to get the maximum benefit
- Lay down to the left side of your body straight on a yoga mat or a blanket, because a hard floor may put pressure on your bones.
- Raise the right leg towards the ceiling with a slight inward turn of knees and return gradually to the original position. If you raise the leg in 1 second, try to lower it in 3 seconds. In that way, you can increase the time under tension in your muscles.
- Repeat the steps by turning to the other side as soon as you finish 1 set.
- As you advance, increase the repetitions because this workout recommends high reps with your body weight.
Side plank with leg raises benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Increased core strength and stability
- Free check for weak glutes. If you are not stable, I.e. falling to one side, then weak glutes are the issue. Workout glute muscles.
- Reduced lower back pain and upper back spasm
- Natural spine curve correction aids herniated disc recovery
- Hits muscles like the erector spinae, hip abductors, glute medius
- IT band longevity.
3. Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana
A mind-blowing yoga pose that requires complete flexibility of your body. A spine health pro. You may find stiffness for the first time, but after just 2 or 3 sessions, you can master it! Do it for 3 sets of 10-15 reps with 30 seconds rest for best results.
How to do a cobra pose for lower back pain
- Lay down flat on your stomach on the yoga mat and keep the palm directly under your shoulders.
- Push your arms against the ground and raise the upper body while keeping the pubic bone attached to the floor.
- Inhale while you lift without flaring the elbows but can maintain a slight bend on the elbows.
- Inhale and exhale again during the top hold. It makes sure you are comfortable with the pose.
- Keep the neck neutral to avoid unwanted strain.
Variation: Try pushing the upper body slowly up and down like a pushup to comfort the lower back pain. Elevate the knees perpendicular to the hip where you feel the pain of the herniated disc and perform the cobra pose.
Cobra pose benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Spinal erector, upper back, and lower back muscles
- Rhomboids, trapezius, triceps
- Corrects posture
- Slips herniated disc back to the spine.
- Sciatica relief
4. Hanging Toe to floor
INSTANT stretch for your spine with guaranteed pain relief for the herniated disc. Perform it frequently over the day, starting as soon as you wake up.
How to do a Hanging toe to floor exercise for lower back pain
- Find a pull-up bar or a slab where you can hang for a while. Hang with your neck tucked back.
- Keep the palm grip width slightly greater than shoulder width.
- Place your toes on the floor 1 foot behind your body and hang for 1 minute and rest for 30 seconds.
- You can feel the instant stretch of the spine which aids in decompressing the herniated disc.
- Better than normal pull-ups for disc pain and easy for beginners.
Hanging toe to floor exercise benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Unlike other lower back exercises, this a spine decompressing stretch.
- Shoulder mobility
- Posture improvement
- Eases lower back pain
- Lat stretch
5. V Leg squeeze
An ultimate hip opener workout that is loved by chiropractors. Get your inner thigh and lower back popping sound with no pain.
How to do a V leg squeeze for lower back pain
- Lay down flat on your back with knees bend.
- Squeeze a pilates ball or thigh toner between the knees. Check out the thigh toner a simple super tool I use.
- Squeeze and hold for 1 minute long and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat it for 3 sets.
- If this is hard for you, then try compressing the ball for 5 seconds and releasing it simultaneously, but increase the repetitions to 10-15.
V leg squeeze benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Inner thigh pop opener and aids herniated disc recovery.
- lower back pain relief even from sciatica
- Strong Hip adductors
- Stabilizes pelvis
6. Glute Bridge
Important workout to strengthen the glute muscles and reduce lower back pain. Personally, I do weighted glute bridges with a barbell, but bodyweight glute bridges are comparatively effective.To recover from the herniated disc, develop the muscles around the lumbar region.
How to do a glute bridge exercise for lower back pain
- Lay down flat on the yoga mat with knees bent.
- Push through the heels and raise your hips higher without hyper-flexing the spine and maintain the Shoulders intact on the floor.
- Keep knees outside the body width by flaring it.
- Hold your breath and squeeze the glutes up for 5 seconds.
- Lower it down, slow and steady.
- Repeat it for 10 reps for 2 sets twice a week.
- Add variations: One leg glute bridges
- Raise the left leg towards the ceiling and push your right heels.
- Activate the glutes, and push towards the ceiling while maintaining the shoulders intact on the floor.
- The remaining steps are the same as the regular glute bridge.
- Switch the legs and repeat the process.
Glute bridge benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Reduces erector spinae pain
- Relief from lower back pain and aids herniated disc recovery
- Strong glute muscles
- Stabilizes pelvis
7. Stomach Vacuum
The best exercise to reduce your belly fat and contract ab muscles. Suitable for reducing bloating. There are no wonders as reducing belly fat aids the recovery of lower back pain. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s favorite exercise for a slim waistline.
How to do a stomach vacuum for lower back pain and reduce bloating
- Stand up straight and relax your mind and body.
- Inhale gently to get a fulfilling breath.
- Make a deep exhale with your mouth and completely flush out all the air inside your lungs and create a vacuum inside your stomach.
- Tuck your belly in to squeeze the air as you exhale. Try to touch your belly button and spine! These steps can only be improved with practice.
- Hold the vacuum position for 20 seconds and breathe in slowly.
- Repeat the steps for 5 sets with a 1-minute rest in-between sets and increase the vacuum hold time to 1 minute as you progress.
Stomach vacuum benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Reduces belly fat and bloating
- Reduces lower back pain by aiding in herniated disc recovery.
- Slims waist
- Improves posture
- Purifies lungs
Hyperextensions are the most common lower back workouts perform by bodybuilders. It helps in developing lower back muscle density. Wish to rock a six-pack on your lower back, then hyperextensions are the key.
How to do Hyperextensions for lower back pain
- Lay down flat on stomach and crawl the body outside of bed until the upper body has no support.
- Ask your family member to sit down on your leg or if you wish to be independent, get a hyperextension roman chair. Definitely, you won’t regret buying it.
- Hang the upper body down.
- Exhale while raising the torso and hold it in the neutral position for 5 seconds and inhale while lowering it back slowly.
- Repeat it for 10-12 reps of 3-4 sets to increase lower back muscle density.
- Variation: Rotate to the left and right side alternatively to work out obliques.
Hyperextensions benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Increases Erector spinae density in the lower back, i.e. bulletproof lower back muscles guaranteed!
- Gluteus Maximus
- Increases blood circulation
- Decompresses spine.
- Effective pain relief
9. Cat-Cow exercise (Chakravakasana)
A stress reliever and posture-friendly exercise that is easy for seniors and beginners. Heals a herniated disc naturally.
How to do Cat-cow exercise for lower back pain
- Lay down on hands and knees on a yoga mat to avoid pressure on the knees.
- Curl the toes firmly on the floor.
- Lower the belly button while exhaling, and raise the head up. Tilt the tail bone up and hold it for 5 seconds.
- Return to the original position.
- Tilt the upper body up and tuck the belly button in to form a hogging upper arch.
- Hold it for 5 seconds to feel the stretch and come back to the original position.
- Repeat the hogging and sagging steps for 10 reps for 3 sets with 30 seconds rest in between.
Cat-cow benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Increases spine flexibility.
- Improved blood circulation and longevity.
- Erector spinae pain relief
- Relieves Upper back muscle tightness
- Reduces Mid back muscle spasm
10. Scorpion twists
A perfect pain-kill capsule for those who sit all day long. It is a dynamic warmup that can be incorporated before doing any workout. Decompresses and slips back herniated disk to lumbar.
How to do Scorpion twists exercise for lower back pain
- Lay down flat on your stomach and spread the arms wide for stability such that you form a “T” with the body.
- Bring the right heel across your left leg all the way to the upper left side of the hip.
- Isometric-hold the position for 5 seconds.
- Now alternate the sequence of steps with the left heel.
- Repeat the steps for 10-15 reps for 3 sets with 20 seconds rest in-between.
Scorpion Twists benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Enhances hip flexor muscles for movement
- Reduces muscle stiffness
- Relieves Lower back and upper back muscle spasms
- Maintains healthy spine
- Treats herniated disc pain
11. BONUS: Advanced Lower Back pain exercises
The deadlift is a commendable exercise for the lower back as it strengthens lower back muscles by boosting the testosterone level. As a compound exercise, it burns higher calories and helps reduce belly fat much faster when compared to an abs workout!
How to Deadlift with PROPER FORM
- Stand upright with a weighted Olympic barbell placed horizontally over your mid-feet or a heavy-duty resistant band placed underneath mid-feet.
- The width of feet should be as par shoulder width, with 20° tilted outward.
- Do not arch the lower back. Maintain neutral spine and neck. Use a self-locking belt if you wish to lift more weight and add stability.
- Lower the upper body by bending the knees and grip the barbell slightly apart shoulder width to get a deep stretch of trapezius muscles.
- Take in a deep breath and lift the barbell up while maintaining the posture.
- Squeeze the glutes and abdomen muscles for maximum engagement of the core during the deadlift.
- Lower the barbell gently and do it again for 5 reps of 4 sets with 1 -2 minutes’ rest in-between.
Note: Check out the dynamic warm-up procedure before performing any weighted workouts. The muscles may get stiffer over time without a proper warmup.
Deadlift benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- A compound exercise that hits the entire core muscle network.
- Strengthens Hamstring
- Increases lower back muscle density when performed with correct posture.
- Huge gains in trap muscles.
- Improved grip strength
- Improved stability with glutes, legs, and abs co-ordination
- Burns high calories
- Increases explosiveness.
- Spikes testosterone level.
II. Weighted Reverse lunges
How to do the weighted reverse lunges with PROPER FORM
- Stand in the starting position with your feet hip-width apart. Try not to tilt the foot.
- Lift the weighted barbell, place it on your upper back (use a nice foam if you feel pain), and hold it within reach of your hands using an overhand grip. Try increasing shoulder mobility if you can’t grip the barbell effectively.
- Step back your left foot keeping the right foot at the place and bend your right knees at a 90° angle.
- Keep your back straight, weights stable and the toes of your left foot curled.
- Then return to your starting position.
- Keep your back straight as you complete the repetition.
- If you have trouble keeping the barbell stable, use less weight because improper posture can affect the lower back muscles.
Weighted reverse lunges benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Best Quadriceps finisher.
- Burns high calories
- Spikes testosterone.
- Increases lower back muscle density and relieves pain.
- Improves vertical jump
III. Reverse Plank
Regular Planks are boring as you progress and easy for beginners. The plank that has a bigger benefit in improving posture is the Reverse plank!
How to do a Reverse plank for lower back pain
- Sit on the yoga mat with legs extended.
- Place the palm underneath the shoulders and push through the ground.
- Squeeze the glutes and abs to maintain a straight posture.
- Do not sag the waist. Hold it for 30 seconds.
- Lower it down and repeat for 3 sets.
Reverse plank benefits, and what muscles do they work?
- Strengthens lower back aids herniated disc recovery
- Posture fix
- Stabilizes pelvis
- Increased shoulder mobility
- Arm strength
- Core strength
These Top 10 lower back pain exercises are the most effective and almost instant in treating a herniated disc. To simplify the process, choose 5 workouts a day and another 5 for the next day. Doing it consistently can elevate your health and help reduce pain or lower back knot lumps fast.
Learn how to relieve lower back pain by implementing a simple sitting solution.
Perform the advanced Lower back pain relief exercises only when you have mastered bodyweight exercises at home. If you find the article useful, share it with your community to create a pain-free, productive planet. Gracias.